Skip to main content

Re: Art for Healing

Aw @Jake63 I'm sorry about the bad days. But very glad you're having equal good days. Life can be such a battle for so many. You have such a wonderful spirit that I know you will keep fighting on. I have been good more days that not. And I'm always truly grateful for that. I feel fortunate that things are that way for me and never take it for granted. My daughter had surgery a few months back and it was a BIG surgery. She was laid up for quite a while and it hit me quite hard to see her battling on to try to walk again without being in pain. While she did well in recovery some of the harder stuff was unexpected and it made me remember how life can throw us unexpectd curve ball. Again, nice to see you!

Take care

Hanami

1000005235.jpg

Great discussion @hanami.

I often take pictures on my walks around the place. I have recently collected the best ones and put into a book with a short text below each image. I like to look at it when I need some grounding or inspiration.

Wow @Blackbird11 , such a beautiful photo! When I was going through bad patch with anxiety, I took a photo each day of the sunrise. It sort of grounded me and helped me see life continues on and things continue to change and nothing is forever. I really got a lot out of it. One of the units in my art therapy course is Photo Therapy and I'm super keen for it. Thanks so much for sharing!

Hanami

Yes a moment captured in time, but also a temporary moment too. Life indeed goes on.

Re: Art for Healing - FEELINGS WHEELS

Feeling Wheel

hanami_1-1694492674008.jpeg

Benefits

Identifies feelings to gain mastery over emotions

A first step in emotional regulation can be connecting with an emotion on the 'feeling wheel'. Identifying current emotions is important to the development of self-awareness. This exercise aims to help you to recognise your emotions by naming and talking about them (if you feel comfortable to do so). If you’re struggling to express a particular emotion, you might want so start with one of these from the list below to see if any resonate with you:

happiness, sadness, joy, apathy, boredom, anger, rage, frustration, love, shock, anxiety, disgust.

Steps:

1. Using a pencil, draw a large circle on your paper. You can use a round object to trace like a small dinner plate or bowl. 
  2. Divide the circle into 8 triangles, like a pie.
  3. On the edge of each triangle, write a feeling. When you're done, you should have 8 triangles with 8 feelings written at the top of each triangle.
  4. Choose a colour that you closely associate with the feeling you have written, and colour in the triangle with a combination of coloured penicils and crayons. Be sure not to colour over the feeling you've listed. Do this for each of the 8 triangles.

Question to think about or talk about on the forums

Which feelings did you write down first?

Which feeling are you experiencing right now

Did you colour any two emotions the same colour?

If you did, what does this mean to you?

PSX_20221204_183116.jpg

 I love getting into nature and finding fungi, orchids and everything inbetween 💚

I have just ‘landed’ in this space after checking my Facebook page. I am a true believer in the old saying “when the student is ready the teacher appears”!
maybe this is a path for me to follow?

I am on the road to recovery and building my road in the fashion of the Romans who laid their roads down one solid brick at a time.

I am blessed. I have an amazing medical team who believe in me, plus myself which is my lifeline.

I am walking on the “sunny side of the street” as I approach my senior years with the knowledge and belief that I CAN DO IT!

I am moving from a DOOMSDAY EXISTENCE I am well on to 100% recovery. It has been a rough journey but so, so worth every step of the way!

I am now at the place where I have discovered that the world of art and drawing will and do provide a vital TOOL to aid my journey. I have a monstrous TOOLBOX of recovery tools which are all my treasures to survival.

I hope I can find a niche here to continue my journey.

I so look forward to this journey and what it may offer and which I hope to contribute to is of equal importance. I am not a great artist but I am a willing learner.

Hi @Greensleeves 

Welcome! I'm so glad you 'landed' here. And I hope you find it welcoming and supportive. It sounds like you've had quite the journey with your mental health. Sounds like things are heading in the right direction nowadays!

I'll tag some other members who may want to say hello 🙂

@Jake63 @Shaz51 @Melbcoffeesnob @fluffylight @JRMum @Kyle1 @Blackbird11 @Ilovepenguins @MissMuffet 

Good morning @hanami,

Yesterday I saw my OT and I completed the first part of my functional capacity assessment. I think I must have answered close to 100 questions relating to many dimensions of my life: work, leisure, and communication.

As someone who is on the autism spectrum, answering questions can be challenging. This is because some questions are poorly articulated.

I see my OT again tomorrow for the second part of the assessment. It will be a 2hr appointment. I am enjoying my day of rest today to do some reading and work on my next blog post.

Hello @Greensleeves 

Welcome to the forums, this is a safe space with safe people. So glad you're here. I am glad you have support and are actively reaching for recovery. Your toolbox sounds helpful as mine is. Art and mental health is  a positive relationship. It's so expensive, focused and a way to sooth the soul. Looking forward to you contributions here.

Thanks for the tag @hanami 

Handy tip for forums is press the @ button and a drop down list of names will appear and click on any name to highlight them and they will receive notification of your post.