Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Peer Group Chat // When Stigma Turns into Shame // Thursday 29th June 2023, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hey everyone!

On Thursday 29th of June 2023, we will be holding a Peer Group Chat on the topic of When Stigma Turns into Shame.

amber22_2-1687475533161.gif

Often stigma can be thought of as coming from others, but, it can also come from within, when it is heard too often and start believing it as truth. In this chat, we’ll explore the impacts of when stigma is internalised, what we might be able to do to challenge this and ways to recover from instances of internalisation. 

The event start times across Australia are below:

amber22_1-1687475372447.jpeg

Western Australia: 5pm 
Northern Territory & South Australia: 6:30pm 

Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Victoria & Tasmania: 7pm

For anyone unfamiliar with Peer Group Chats, each focuses on a specific topic and is guided by Peer Workers with lived experience of mental health issues and recovery, &/or caring for someone with complex mental health. A counsellor is also present as a moderator to help ensure a safe environment for individuals and the group. It is a space for us as peers to share our stories and experiences, and connect with those who are going through something similar. 

Anyone is welcome to join! Tagging some members who may be interested below: 

@Shaz51 @Snowie @Meggle @Appleblossom @Bobbie @sammy3 @Jacques @creative_writer @Captain24 @Mk333 @Gillie @Gillie1 @tonys @wellwellwellnez @Laura4 @Messylife @Bow @Smiling_Gecko @chibam @ShiningStar @CloudBerry @Shaymanpihama @StuF @Dimity @Kyle1 @Emergence @outlander @Meowmy 

Peer Group Chats are hosted outside of the forums, using a platform called Chatwee. 

To join an Online Peer Group and participate, you will need to register for an account with Chatwee.
To access the group to observe only and not participate, you can access Chatwee as a Guest.
On the night, follow this link to access Chatwee before the group starts.
You can join our Peer Group Chats every Thursday from 7:00-8:30pm (AEDT). Check out the FAQs page for more information.  

We hope to see you there 😊 If you can't make it but are interested, you can always catch up reading the transcript afterwards here. We also invite you to continue the conversation below on this thread if you can't make the night but also wish to contribute some of your responses. We will post some dot point prompts on the day that can get the conversation started if you're unable to make the live event!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Peer Group Chat // When Stigma Turns into Shame // Thursday 29th June 2023, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hi Everyone, 

Just a reminder that the next Online Peer Group Chat on When Stigma Turns into Shame will take place tonight from 7-8:30pm AEST.  As always, for ease of reference, times across Australia are in the graphic and listed below: 

TideisTurning_0-1688012195631.jpeg

Western Australia: 5pm 
Northern Territory & South Australia: 6:30pm 

Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Victoria & Tasmania: 7pm 

Tonight, you can expect discussion about:  

• How internalised stigma & shame impacts us and challenging these 
  • Our experiences with internalised stigma turning into shame 
  • Reclaiming sovereignty of self and control back into our lives! 

Tagging members who have supported or otherwise interacted with the thread so far as well as those who may be interested to receive a reminder: @Shaz51 @Oaktree @Jacques @Captain24 @CloudBerry @Former-Member @Bobbie @Appleblossom @StuF @Emergence @Snowie @outlander @creative_writer @Birdofparadise8 

Re: Peer Group Chat // When Stigma Turns into Shame // Thursday 29th June 2023, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hi Everyone, 

Just a reminder that this Peer Group Chat on the topic of When Stigma Turns into Shame will be starting very soon, in around 10 minutes at 7PM AEST! Tagging those who have interacted with the thread and who may be online and/or interested to receive a reminder 😊 @Snowie @Emergence @AnnaliseM @Bill16 @Christofuuu @Ginsmart @Jordan7 @Nada @Shaz51 @Spirit_Healer @TanTan @creative_writer @florencefifty @outlander @Ballard1891 @Captain24 @Meowmy @SmilingGecko @creative_writer @greenpea @Snowie 

Where do we go to access this pls. New to all this. Do I just stay on Forums ??

Hey @Ginsmart ,

To access the Peer Group Chat, click https://client.chatwee.com/popout/5fe12dcb78c130638b1512

You can then register and log in.

Hope that works for you.

Hi Everyone,

Internalised shame and stigma, two really big topics! Among the discussion on this was how none of us are really alone in experiencing shame as it's a very universal experience. Similarly with internalised stigma, it's very common! Shame especially can be challenged or silenced through sharing, We saw a bit of this in the group chat discussion, and how empathy and shared experiences can help lessen shame- further explained in this video here.

So, all that said, I have another little challenge for those who are up for it- share something with us here that’s brought up a feeling of shame for you. Not anything too big or majorly painful (please keep in mind our Guidelines when doing this, particularly around safety) and remember to reach out for extra support and/or be mindful with r engagement with this if it feels a little prickly and/or anything comes up for you.

For others (whether you share one of your own or not), please lend some support and love to those courageously sharing, and if a share resonates with you, please contribute that if you feel comfortable- even just an ‘I know the feeling’ or ‘I’ve been there’ 😊💗 

As an example, I have sometimes felt shame around my limitations or the things I can't do. I've thought that I'm lesser than because of those things. I know from our chat discussions and also interactions with many of you here, that I’m not alone in these feelings, which has definitely helped lessen the sense of shame that had once been so strongly attached to these anxieties. The other thing that's helped silence the shame is the realisation that everyone has things they can't do- it's not just me. 

With that said, over to you. I'm looking forward to hearing your shares and starting to silence shame together! 😊 @Ginsmart @Captain24 @Appleblossom @creative_writer @Dimity @Former-Member @Snowie @Emergence @Shaz51 @Oaktree @Jacques @Adge @tonys 

I have great Shame over being so debilitated with severe anxiety & depression. I am the complete opposite of who I normally am & feel shame for not being able to master or control it

Hey @Ginsmart 😊 Firstly, thank you for your courage in sharing with us here. 
The debilitating impacts severe anxiety and depression can have are tough on its own. I can understand where shame might come into it around struggles learning to manage or live with these things and the difference with how you might function when not as affected by anxiety and/or depression. I'm sure many have felt similarly.  You're not alone 💗 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance