Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Recognition for the work that carers do

@Former-Member wrote:
Unfortunately @Phoenix_Rising my sea turtle, I do not have a magic wand...

However I do have a meeting with the clinical director in relation to a couple of things that happened surrounding Mr Darcy's hospitalisation, which could entail a complaint to the health commissioner and possibly the chief psychiatrist if not resolved.

Perhaps you could explain to me what trauma informed care is my little terrapin.

D

Hi @Former-Member 

I am super glad that Mr Darcy has you to advocate for him. If you google "trauma informed care,"  a bazillion sites will come up that explain it much better than I can. The basic premise is that most people presenting with mental health issues (not all, but most) have some sort of trauma history, and the way services engage with them has the potential to either help heal that trauma, or exacerbate it.

I just had the moderator remove a post I put on another thread, regarding some of my experiences in the public system, so now I'm a little wary of going into specifics. However, suffice to say, there is lots of bad stuff that happens in inpatient settings that is the antithesis of trauma informed care.

Here is a good description of the basic tenets of trauma informed care:

http://www.mhpod.gov.au/assets/sample_topics/combined/Trauma_and_Mental_Health/objective2/index.html

@Phoenix_Rising

Thanks for link, have skim read but will need to have a proper read through it which I shall do.

How are the puddy tats?

D

Hey @Phoenix_Rising

Have had a read through and found the article very interesting, will re-read it in due course so that the info sinks in.

My present concern relates more to communication issues (lack of) and provision of evidence based pharmacological treatment.

I am mindful of protecting my heart from bitterness and am endeavouring to ensure that I am respectful in all my dealings with the treating team. I call a spade a spade and will always back up my arguments with scholarly articles and am not afraid to ask questions. If I disagree with them and they say I am wrong I expect them to explain to me why as I am open to learning and welcome correction. I need to have this knowledge as my husband does not understand any of it.

Any how, enough of me - how is your violin going. Is there a particular piece you are enjoying at the moment?

D

Hi @Former-Member,

I am trying to catch up on about a bazillion posts that I need to respond to. You are my chosen one for this Sunday afternoon. Smiley LOL

My cats are currently both doing what cats do best - sleeping!

Violin is going well. My teacher has asked me to revise old stuff over the holidays. I really like this idea because one of my frustrations with my previous teacher was that I felt he was dragging me through the material too quickly. My teacher is having an extra week off at the start of term so I still have almost 2 weeks to perfect the material I am working on for him.

I've never really engaged with carers before and I can see that in some ways the experiences of consumers and carers are similar and in other ways they are different. I would LIKE to think that carers are listened to a bit more than consumers, but when I think about it...they probably aren't. I really hate the way doctors, psychologists etc. are held up as "experts" when the reality is that a lot of them are pretty darn clueless. I can imagine that you probably don't get much further as a carer, than I do as a consumer, when it comes to asking for the evidence base upon which decisions are being made.

I have a bit of a flair for inferential statistics (most likely one of my cooler aspie quirks!) so I can actually read and understand the results section of a quantitative research paper rather than just glazing over at all the numbers and Greek letters. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of health practitioners do not remember anything they learnt in their stats classes during their degree. Both my psychologist and my GP have admitted to me that they don't remember any of it! I can well imagine that health professionals would struggle to produce for you the research evidence that they are basing their decisions on.

I find it really funny when someone starts a sentence with "the research says...". My most common response to this is "would you be able to give me the reference for that research so that I can take a look at it for myself." I've never once had someone able to produce it. It seems to me that people think that by starting a sentence with "the research says..." this alone supports their argument. Well no, if the issue is very important to me (like, say, putting a particular drug into my body), then I want to know the sample size, the effect size, who conducted the study, whether it has been replicated, etc etc.

I super wish I had an answer for you, Darcy. The whole system makes me so cranky. I think a big part of the problem is that psychiatry is just so far behind other fields of medicine. I guess they are doing their best - just like the doctors were doing their best to treat physical ailments 200 years ago...it's just that their best at that time was pretty inadequate.

Anyway, I hope you and Mr Darcy are having a nice weekend. I'm not going to stay on the forums too long - I want to go and play in the garden for a while before it gets dark. Smiley Happy

@Phoenix_Rising

Must say I have no idea about confidence intervals and P values, when trying to work things out I look for abstracts and summaries that have % rates in them. I know at one stage I was horrified seeing the very low % rate that certain drugs were seen as effective.

I think I have a fairly strong case in relation to evidence based treatment and would not gently press if I didn't. I have respectfully let them know that I am struggling given their response to a, b & c and if they could please help me to understand at our next meeting I would be grateful. I am probably a little unsure how to articulate a desired outcome as to ensuring other patients are not similarly dealt with if indeed I can even get them to concede the point in the absence of them being able to produce evidence. Am realistic though in relation to being able to effect change but we keep chipping away.

I don't think there are easy answers as there are no definitive tests. Thought I would fill you in as I know this is one of your things.

How is your garden coming along? Slowly getting back into it here. We have bought a few plants recently, need to get a couple of spots weeded before we can put them in.

Good to hear violin is going well. Not rushing makes sense. Slow and steady wins the race ...

Mr D had a bit of a downer this week, had some stresses but has steadied a little.

That's it at my end for now.

Quick hello @Phoenix_Rising 🐢
Checking in to see how you are doing.
Darcy

Hi @Former-Member,

I've been in a terrible pickle since Thursday, but the storm is finally starting to settle since I saw my psychologist this morning. I talked about my pickle on my thread titled "neurofeedback". I can't remember if I've tagged you into that thread.

Yes, the evidence for the efficacy of a lot of drugs used in psychiatry is very weak, but because most people don't understand p values, confidence intervals etc. they have no idea. Drug companies are selling a product, so obviously they are going to present their findings in the best possible light. I haven't found any medications particularly useful in my own muddle. I take an antidepressant because it makes other people feel better. Smiley Happy That is, if I get picked up by the police or whatever and they ask if I'm on medication, if I say "no", I get a great long lecture about how I should be. Thus I take an antidepressant, which does nothing for me, but it makes other people feel better knowing that I'm medicated. Smiley LOL

If you ever want help understanding a particular research article, feel free to ask me. I can definitely translate the gibberish of a results section in a journal article into plain English for you. Maybe I could write you a script that you could memorise and then you could recite it to whoever you are talking to about the efficacy of a particular drug. Smiley Very Happy

It has been super sunny here in Sydney and my garden is coming along nicely. I planted a row of grevilleas quite a few months ago and they are finally starting to give me a bit of privacy from the neighbours. I didn't realise though how they are prone to cause skin irritation. I was staking and pruning them the other day and I got a magnificant rash all up my arms for my efforts. Oh well, it disappeared pretty quickly.

I hope you and Mr Darcy have a lovely week. Smiley Happy

Hey @Phoenix_Rising

Love grevilleas, had good success with them when we lived in country Vic but they are not suitable for our place now. Really nice for the birds. We managed to get out into the garden and plant some tiger grass (will have to look up botanical name but a 3m high bamboo looking plant).

Thanks for the offer of looking at research articles, I am not sure what the forum rules are in relation to this.

At present I am waiting for a response to my question which will be given at my next meeting with the clinical director (which has been delayed by a fortnight). Need to listen to and consider what is said.

Hope the cats are well. Our hounds are going OK, they are due for their annual shots, we are going interstate and will board them so need to get them done soon.

If you don't mind I am probably better just sticking to this thread and the Friday night feast. Just as this thread is not for me to discuss the ins and outs of Mr Darcy's MI, part of caring is to give you a bit of time out from focussing on your own mental health and talking about other every day things and things you enjoy. I do know you enjoy advocacy so was happy to mention my concerns.

Will leave you to it for the moment.
Darcy

Hey @Phoenix_Rising

Hope your pickle has trickled and you are feeling a bit better.

Saw an article on integrative (?) psychiatry and thought of you. Does this tie in with your values?

Darcy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance