Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Useful resources

HenryD
Contributor

Supporter Support

Hi All,

Im new here and was just hoping to find some advice. My boyfriend has recently discolsed to me that hes suffers with anxiety disroder and depression as well as aspergers syndrome.

Was wondering if anyone had some helpful tips for supporting him Smiley Happy

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Supporter Support

@HenryD  Hey HenryD I cannot talk today as am too busy but if you put autism spectrum disorder or asd or aspergers syndrome in the subject box you should come up with many threads which maybe be of help. I will try and get back to you asap. I am a mother of a aspergers daughter and autistic son. Take care. greenpeax

@greenpea 

Hi Greenpea,

thank you for replying! I will definitely have a look at those threads. Hope your and your daughters are well :]

@HenryD  Hey HenryD I will get back to you later on tonight and thank you for your kind words. Love greenpea

@HenryD  I have given your question alot of thought throughout today and can highly recommend the various internet sites re autism and aspergers which I have found whilst cruising the net. It takes awhile to trawl through and find the good ones but is worth it. There is so much information on the net is crazy. Particularly from the us and the uk not so much australia. There is Aspect Australia which is the biggest organization here who maybe be able to recommend reading matter for you. The best thing you can do is to read and read some more. Autism is such a complex disorder I cannot pretend to give you more advice than that as your boyfriends autism will present itself different to that of my son's and daughter's in so much as they are totally different people. Sure there are the basics like poor communication skills, unable to make eye contact etc but as said their wants, desires etc are all different. My son2 and daughter are completely different.

Hmmm .... I dont feel I have been of much help.... sorry but I spent years reading being a part of autism groups etc .... and I mean years. It is a very complicated disorder. Take care of yourself too. greenpeax

Hey there @HenryD šŸ™‚ How have you been travelling since your last post? How has it been supporting your boyfriend and learning about his different diagnosis? Our community is here to support you so feel free to give us an update on how you are going, as well as your partner. Speak soon!

Hi @nashy 

Thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately i have not been able to see my boyfriend for a few days as we are in different cities currently, but will be seeing him this weekend! I have spent this time trying to research his various diagnosis' in an attempt to be of more support :] i will be sure to post if i have anymore questions :]

Hi @greenpea 

Thanks heaps for your continued support/replies! I will definitely check out those resources you reccommended :] I appreciate your different perspective on the situation and will keep in mind how he may present different traits, it is good to know for future reference :]

Hope all is well with your family and continues to be :]

@HenryD  Hey HenryD thank you for your reply. It is always nice to hear back from someone who you have reached out to. I have to admit when I hear nothing I get a tinge of sadness .... but also have to remember that people are going through their own problems and may to be mentally able to make conversation. Take care. Love peax

I have a few sites and suggestions, I'm busy with my own boys ADHD ADD combined type ODD anxiety and depression with Post-traumatic stress disorder in my teenager plus Austism. šŸ˜” I have so much new insights I'm more than happy to share.. I'll get on it tomorrow if that's ok.
Take care
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance