Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

nashy
Senior Contributor

// Online Event // Our rights as mental health carers - with Mental Health Carers NSW // Tues, Oct 27th 7-8.30pm AEDT

Hey there to all the wonderful Carer's  👋🧘🏻‍♂️

Come and join us as we have a text-based chat with our friends at Mental Health Carers NSW about our basic rights as Carer's. We will break down some of the jargon, and share strategies with one another on some of the resources available to us as Carer's working alongside our Carer's rights. You can read more about Carer Rights here ❤️

saneforums_mentalhealthcarers.png

Join us right here in this thread for a 1.5 hour text-based discussion. 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 8:30pm AEDT monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text-based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEDT- 7pm
  • AEST- 6:00pm
  • WST- 4pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

90 REPLIES 90

Re: POSTPONED// Online Event // Our rights as mental health carers - with Mental Health Carers NSW //

@Shaz51 @Schitzo We wanted to let you know that due to unforeseen circumstances, we will have to postpone tonight's event Smiley Sad We will let you know of the new date/time as soon as possible. Thank you Heart

Re: // Online Event // Our rights as mental health carers - with Mental Health Carers NSW // Tues, Oct 27th 7-8.30pm AEDT

Heya @Dadcaringalone @Schitzo and @Shaz51 Smiley Very Happy Hope you are all well!

I am dropping a line to let you know this event alongside our friends @JH_MHCN from Mental Health Carers NSW has been rescheduled to next Tuesday!

Re: // Online Event // Our rights as mental health carers - with Mental Health Carers NSW // Tues, Oct 27th 7-8.30pm AEDT

😎😎 Looking forward to this one tomorrow @Dadcaringalone @Schitzo @Shaz51 😎😎

Hi

🙂

Good evening wonderful carers 👋 Hello to anyone who is online Smiley Very Happy

Welcome to tonight's text based carer event-thread! Myself and our friend @JH_MHCN from Mental Health Carers NSW will be discussing carers rights for mental health carers.

I would like to extend a huge warm welcome to @Dadcaringalone @Schitzo and @Shaz51 who wanted a reminder of tonights event 🎉

Without further anticipation, I am going to let @JH_MHCN from Mental Health Carers NSW introduce himself... Smiley Very Happy

Hi, my name is Jonathan Harms and I am CEO of Mental Health Carers NSW, (MHCN).

I have been CEO of MHCN since 2012.

• In NSW Mental Health Carers NSW (‘MHCN’) is the peak body for mental health carers for NSW Health’s Mental Health Branch and the NSW Mental Health Commission. MHCN is a member of Mental Health Carers Australia.
• MHCN is a community based, non-government organization that provides capacity development, information and systemic advocacy for the carers, family and friends of those experiencing mental illness.
• There are 2.7 million unpaid carers in Australia.
• Over 850,000 are primary carers providing the majority of care to someone living with disability of some kind.
• Around 240,000 are estimated to be mental health carers of whom 54,000 people are primary carers.
• The Australian Government would have to spend over $1 billion per week on formal health and social care services to replace the work of carers.
• Carers are Mums and Dad’s, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, partners and friends.
• But most importantly, Carers are partners in care and recovery!

hello nashy and @JH_MHCN 

i like these discussions

looking forward to learning about this

Looks like we are a bit quiet tonight on the carers side, so I shall kick off with the first Question now 🙂 

As a carer, has there ever been a time where the mental health sector (hospital, doctor etc) has left you feeling restricted in your role?

How did you manage this experience? @JH_MHCN  @Former-Member 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance