Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

Hi @nashy @Former-Member @NatureLover @Windflowers @Appleblossom  and anyone else still following.  Thought I would mention something that came up during the week.  I was having disclosure about several events with my new psychologist (2nd session only) and when I spoke about how I had suicidal ideation for months before I actually did it she said that even the ideation can create trauma within us.  Which I had not known but makes sense out of some of what I still deal with - including having found it hard to write about it all in this thread.  It's hard to remember without reliving.   Mentioning it because what that means is that whether it's ideation or acting on it, there is likely to be trauma responses and PTSD involved in the person's struggle too.  Which is then extremely difficult for the carer to work with ... the only thing I can suggest is read up about how trauma post suicide attempt can manifest and tread gently.  Even the person who does it may not be able to recognise the things that trigger their PTSD responses for some time afterwards.

I just googled 'post suicide attempt PTSD' and there are many articles and studies about it that you can read.  I firmly believe that the best ally is an informed ally.  

Re: 5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers

@eth wrote:

...when I spoke about how I had suicidal ideation for months before I actually did it she said that even the ideation can create trauma within us.  Which I had not known but makes sense out of some of what I still deal with - including having found it hard to write about it all in this thread.  It's hard to remember without reliving.

I just googled 'post suicide attempt PTSD' and there are many articles and studies about it that you can read.

Thanks so much for this, @eth , especially as you've found it hard to write these things. Your effort is much appreciated. 🙂 I didn't know these things. It's helpful in a caring role to know of this. 

There is definitely a trauma response with Mr Darcy @eth , I will certainly be doing a search as you suggest.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance