Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

Why is our mental health system so screwed up

I just paid $88 ($44) out of pocket for a GP appointment that took 5 mins for him to tell me everything I feel is normal because I started anxiety medication a week ago and not worry about it then asked me if I had done anything about the referrals we talked about 

Nah man I thought that was YOUR job 

What was the point 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Why is our mental health system so screwed up

Hey @ArraDreaming I can totally understand your frustration. Feels like a waste of money, even though it's supposed to provide reassurance. Can imagine you don't feel very reassured hey. 

How long till the meds are supposed to even out? 

few more weeks maybe @Jynx 

been just over 1 

sometimes I feel like it’s working other times i don’t it’s a bit all over the place 

And some physical side effects which come and go 

Ach how frustrating @ArraDreaming. A few more weeks is one of those things that sounds like it'll fly by, but if you're struggling it can go agonisingly slow. But glad to hear that there are times it does seem to be working! Hopefully those moments will become longer and more frequent for you. 

Do you have much on in these next few weeks? Stuff to help you keep busy - outside of work and kids and stuff of course. Sometimes distraction is the best coping tool you can use. 

Not really, not apart from those things, aside from my family life is pretty boring right now @Jynx

@ArraDreaming You could always spice it up somehow - what sort of stuff do you like doing? Or take a spontaneous trip to the bush for a walk with the kids, or the beach, stuff like that. I always find getting into nature does wonders for my brain.

@Jynx bike riding, skateboarding, going for walks, fishing all that stuff

Oh nice one @ArraDreaming - quite the outdoorsman aren't ya? I love it! 

When was the last time you went fishing? Is it a bit too cold to do that at the moment? My dad was a fisherman, he absolutely loved it. So calm and serene - until the fish bite haha. 

Do you have time and energy to be able to do much of these things at the moment? Might be good to carve out some time to get out and do some of your fav stuff hey. 

I also like surfing @Jynx

But don’t have a lot of time so much of those things now
Haven’t been fishing ages, months

Yeah modern world makes it super difficult to actually do the things we love hey @ArraDreaming. I hope you find some time soon though, fingers crossed.

I'm off for tonight, nice to chat again. Catch ya next time 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance