Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

love4mum
New Contributor

Options when they won't take medication

Hi all, 

Mum has had schizophrenia my whole life. She's elderly now.  She has severe cataracts and has gone blind. Due to her mental illness, she denies that it's cataracts and refuses cataract treatment - she has gone blind for nothing.  She cries and prays every single day for her sight to return and she really suffers - it's heart-breaking to watch.  I'm tired of just watching. There must be something i can do to help. She also cries because the voices torment her.  She refuses medication bc she tried that in the 70s and won't try it again. She is impossible to reason with.  I can't have her admitted to a psychiatric hospital, they would have to drag her kicking and screaming  and it would destroy her and our trust.  Is there a way i can have meds prescribed and i can administer them to her without her knowing?  how could i know they were the right ones? Is there anything else i can do?

I love her more than anything in the world.

Thank you 🙏🙏🙏♥️ 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Options when they won't take medication

Hi @love4mum 

What a tough situation to be in. I really feel for you as my mum is also in her 70s and can only imagine if she had a mental illness and refused medication. Regarding being able to get meds without her consent you may find something helpful here.

I used to work at an older person's mental health service and if my memory serves me correct, they could refuse health care as long as they still had the cognitive capacity to do so. But there maybe something else you can do and I'm hoping someone else reaches out and offers some wise words.

Sending my warmest wishes

Hanami

Re: Options when they won't take medication

👋 Hi, I hear & understand your thoughts and feelings in helping your mum. My thoughts would be to encourage you to keep reaching out and making enquiries to hopefully start change leading towards better health for your mum and in turn the family. Overall it's not something you can manage all on your own. Liaise with Carer’s Australia, GP and schizophrenia organisations to garner information, knowledge and support/referrals. Also, if not already become her Primary Carer which in turn may expand legal rights/responsibilities and general access. Of course seek sibling/family supports. I understand it to be all consuming I really do & important to look after yourself & personal limits. Sometimes knowledge is power to help you advocate for you & your mother. I sincerely hope some headway commences to bring reprieve & change. Blessings 🌼 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance