Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Thank you @Former-Member  I didn't know that. I've learnt something new 🦎🦋🌷 xx

Hi Peoples.

I've been out getting my hands dirty planting pea seedlings. I have a whole lot of out of date seeds, so I've been going through and having a try at seeing if they'll grow anyway... with reasonable success. 🙂 Low germination rates for some of them, but I'm getting at least a few up from each planting.

The peas were started off in cardboard rolls (from loo paper) so that I could keep them in a lidded mesh basket, away from rodents. They're big enough now that they should be safe, but I've put rocks at the bases of the plants so that they don't get scratched out by blackbirds instead!

My baby tomato plants are home from my sister's place. None of the winged pea or zuchinni seeds I planted have come up, but they're the only outright "failures" so far. And I have more seeds of each, so I can try again.

Potatoes and Jerusalem Artichokes have sprouted. Lots of flowers are coming out. Heaps of Aquilegias, the first Dutch Irises I've had for years, and assorted poppies. A few old fashioned white bearded irises have flowered, the fancier coloured ones are getting close. Love this time of year. 🙂

not self-care - but a year ago I brought home 2 tomato seedlings for my bipolar/aspy/ptsd partner in the hope of giving him a reason to get out of bed some mornings.

Now the entire back yard is under cultivation and some of the front!

Currently we have:

Current harvesting: cherry tomatoes, malabar spinach, dutch corn salad (like butter lettuce), corn, garlic, green beans, snake beans, strawberries, carrots, onions

The pumpkin has been fruiting continuously since just before last Christmas

Herbs: parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme (obviously), mint, dill, oregano, basil, chives, thai basil (corriander just won't take).

Just finished: Broccolini, peas, beetroot & carrots, grosse lisse tomatoes, english spinach, tatsoi, watercress (cress, tatsoi & broccolini we let go to seed deliberately) and  beetroot. 

In the making: chillis (plants now pruned and ready for next flowering), garlic, capsicum, cucumbers, more beetroot, carrots & onions, zucchini, pak choy - and a few other leafy's.

be careful what you wish for..... 🙂

Self care for your partner from the sounds of things @SJT63 😁.   I must admit I do smile when I see someone growing veg in their front yard. 

Hope it is saving you $$ in groceries. Do you dry/ freeze/ preserve in some way the excess? 

I love it when I grow enough to share with others. 

Coriander does better in cooler weather (less inclined to bolt to seed). 

@Former-Member I dry, freeze and bottle

I've had a pressure canner on order for months now because I can't can do veg in the fowlers vacola.

Yes I bring produce into work for my colleages from time to time - particulary when the leafy greans are on.

At my place almost everything is made from scratch (not just food) except at the moment I'm buying the hard cheese and pasta because I also work full time and there's only so many hours in the day. I don't have room for livestock so protein is bought direct from the farm gate, not the supermarket.

All our grey water is used on the garden and we harvest rain from the patio and shed roof - when it rains - and that water goes through the washing machine before it hits the garden. I have a large solar array so I only use the power hungry equipment on the weekends when I'm home during the day.

One thing that himself and I always agree on is trying to minimise our footprint.

@SJT63. love the sound of your garden! 🙂

Mine has been similarly full in the past, has been let go for a few years due to carer committments and plain exhaustion. (Plus a dose of depression..) I'm working on getting it back up to speed... reclaiming beds that had gone to weeds.

I've grown corn salad previously, still have some seeds left to try again. My "weird lettuce" the last couple of years has been Miners Lettuce. It looks like something that landed from another planet, and happily self seeds. It's a winter/early spring thing, doesn't like warmer weather.

DSCN5368.JPG

@Former-Member, my front yard would have you smiling too. Front yard, back yard, side yard... who cares, it's all soil. Smiley Very Happy
On the odd occasion, it's also been naturestrip...

@SJT63 @Smc  images - 2020-10-13T074600.740.jpeg

images - 2020-10-13T074909.400.jpeg

@SJT63 @Smc 

While my veg patch has not extended to the front yard I am so pleased with our kitchen garden beds. None of the veggies we planted in them are ready for harvesting yet. 

Whilst not in the same league as you SJT, since moving into our new place we have put in solar and built the veg beds/ planted fruit trees. Ongoing, at least 3/4 of our furniture is 2nd hand, we make our own bread and we try and minimise vehicle use. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance