Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Carers under 30...

i know i wont be able to drive they have actually said 48 hrs @Former-Member so ill need help at least during that time and have been told the post op isnt to bad but then the 3-4 days after are completely awful and thats usually when i like to be in the comofrt of my own home. the thing that comes into it more is where i am they arent as experienced with this sort of thing so i worry if i go home and something goes wrong it wont be the best treatment sort of thing.

because its 2 hrs away the family will be coming with me- mum, her bf and the kids which is rather overwhelming but i dont have anyone else unless i book a hotel room for them and then one for me and hire a nurse for the night
Former-Member
Not applicable

@outlander 

Would it be possible for just you and Mum to go without siblings and bf?

no not really @Former-Member
id prefer them to come to keep mum company as i know she will be stressing during the op and the area she is totoally uncomfortable with so its not really worth doing that.
i also find i stress alot knowing the kids arent with mum nothing wrong with her bf its more me and just my brain )
Former-Member
Not applicable

Would you be prepared to spend the night of the 12th on your own at the motel @outlander? This would save the stress of an early morning.  The family could come down after school the evening of the 13th, accompany you to procedure on the 14th,  pick you up after and then stay the night with you. 

Have you had a chat to Mum as yet?

i might be able to @Former-Member i guess that is an option or even taking the train myself in the morning or something.

i havent as yet she knows when the surgury is and shes said its ok to spend a few days there but i guess they dont realise how overwhelming they all are together. im to nervous to talk to mum again becasue i get annoying to her and she is to engrossed in a big special event of hers coming up in october as well. i cant say what that is but the kids will be having another few days off school for that as well.

I agree with @Former-Member , @outlander  xxx

im really anxious about it @Shaz51 so so frazzled
Former-Member
Not applicable

@outlander 

I think there are a couple of things at play here

It sounds like you are wanting to be well organised in advance and you are getting a bit frazzled (or as some would say getting into a pickle - entirely different from being pickled 😀). 

Mum on the other hand has October on her mind and is perhaps feeling that you are well capable of arranging things (even though I think we always need our Mums).

Will your siblings be having end of year exams? If not, Mum might be more than happy for them to miss the time off school.

What are the chances of getting in earlier if there are any cancellations?

My suggestion, e-mail Mum, saying that you know she has October on her mind but you would like to make the appropriate bookings - can she confirm that she will be able to get time off work, kids off school etc. Hopefully she will reply relatively quickly so that you can do the necessary. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

How are you going @outlander ?

evening @Former-Member
im sorry i didnt see your last msg! aww

i havent spoken to mum anymore about it but ive decided to go with them staying in a hotel room and ill be in another with a hired support worker for the night. i feel more comfortable that way as well and will be piece of mind for myself and family as well so they can go and have dinner etc without worrying.
ive spoken to a few nursing places and the pricing is actually pretty good but i dont need to hire them until about 2 months before.

i now just need to find a hotel with the spacing etc that im needing for us all.
i have a rather busy weekend with camping and the horses though so i wont do much more until after the weekend.

i dont think ill get in any earlier unless i can afford private health insurance which i might have a look into as my teeth are very painful with otc pain meds and even the stronger stuff ive got from the drs barely touching the pain. i see my gp next week though so if it hasnt eased ill ask about any infections as well.

How are you and Mr D going?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance